Dear Friends and Friends to Be:
In 2008, in much happier times in my life, I constructed a life-sized Santa Sleigh and Santa’s Workshop for display in front of my house in Balch Springs from just after Thanksgiving to Christmas. Beginning on Black Saturday evening each year, I would don my home-made Santa suit and head out to the front yard on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights and let moms and dads bring their children by to see Santa if they just wanted to do something more local and not drive over to one of the malls, etc. It was great fun and made Christmas, Christmas. Even my kids got into the act.
Stopping The Free-Fall That’s Become My Life
Well, not to go into any details, but I moved out of my house in late March 2010. The divorce was finalized yesterday. I get to move back into the house on Dec. 2, 2011.
What I have learned is that my tools, namely rotary saw, jig saw, power drill, bits, and who knows what else have either been pillaged or stolen when the garage door was left open. I don’t know what. I don’t care. I just know they’re gone and for the time being, I don’t have the funds to replace them.
A few weeks ago, the 2008 sleigh and Santa’s Workshop were hauled off. They’re gone.
As a symbolic effort and as my counselor says, “getting back to the person who is Donny Claxton,” I’ve approached a local business about helping provide tools and materials needed to get the sleigh and the workshop rebuilt this month and ready to position during the first few days of December.
Each year we had dozens of children come by with their parents during the month of December. It was great and even though I’m down about 30 lbs, I’m still plenty plump to make a good Santa. We also collected toys to present to the Balch Springs Police and Fire Departments’ Santa Cop Program.
At this writing, I don’t know if the local business will come through. I’m optimistic, but even if they do, there will be additional needs to get things ready for the show.
In this economy, I know money is tight. Believe me, I know. But I’m posting this asking for you to consider helping make Christmas a little better for children here in southeast Dallas County, Texas. To get the front yard ready for Santa, I need to buy some more lighting, I’m going to need to produce flyers to distribute, and purchase candy canes, and other little things to make it all happen. I’ve even bought small barbies and cars from places like the Dollar Tree. And if the local business turns me down, the need will be even greater.
Your help also can help displace the costs of rebuilding this important local and family tradition.
Contributions can be made via PayPal. With a donation, once the project is in action, we’ll send you a photo of a little boy or girl who gets to see Santa who otherwise would not.
A contribution for this project doesn’t go to me, it goes to local children and their families. Please consider helping. Many children missed out on this last year and I don’t want them to miss out on this again.
- Who insures Santa’s sleigh? (staveleyhead.co.uk)
- Who is Rudolf the red nosed reindeer and how did get his name (wiki.answers.com)
- Miss Christmas? Santa is a Little Late But Here Now With Swakker Sleighwrite! (prweb.com)
- NSPCC Prepare Magical ‘Letters from Santa’ Campaign (prweb.com)
- All About Rudolph and Santa’s Other Reindeers (socyberty.com)
- Boat Donation Charity Takes the Reins of Santa’s Sleigh this Holiday Season – Boats with Causes Sends New Apple iPad 3G as a Gift for Charitable Boat Donations (prweb.com)
- Harry Connick Jr. Releasing Christmas Children’s Book Called The Happy Elf (shoppingblog.com)
- US Postal Service Previews 2012 Santa Stamps (shoppingblog.com)
- Magazines.com Features Santa’s Sleigh Deal of the Day, Great Gifts at Incredible Values (prweb.com)
- Deneb does Dot and Santa Claus [Tales of the VHS Part 1] (mutantreviewers.wordpress.com)
- Top Toys For Christmas – My Predictions (moneysupermarket.com)
- It’s ‘Christmas in July’ as Postal Service Previews 2012 Santa Stamps (prnewswire.com)
- The Secret History of the North Pole (ktrmurali.wordpress.com)