Yesterday, as I gathered with colleagues for lunch, I sat in front of a TV with a CNN anchor who was going through all the who’s who of Hollywood who were out commending President Obama for coming out of the closet on his position about gay marriage. A montage of b-roll ran as they did highlights of famous Hollywood couples and then re-caps of gays getting married and kissing and such. It made me not want to eat lunch.
Within a few minutes I had two Tweet replies.
The first was openly hostile. You can read it in the attached photo. And it’s just this sort of thing that makes me even sicker about the whole matter.
I didn’t respond to this guy. I just blocked him and reported him to Twitter. To me it’s this type of language most would protest if it were said in such a tone about a homosexual. It was also shameful because it took the route of name calling.
The second one just expressed an opinion about what the office of the president should do; represent all Americans.
Yes, it should. But we used to look up to the office of the president. Now it’s being used to advocate immoral behavior, and that’s where the line should be drawn.
I’m not going to change my position on gay marriage. I believe it’s fundamentally wrong. It’s morally wrong. And I’m glad I live in a country where I’m free to say that. And even glad I live in a country where a jackass who doesn’t agree with me can say so without fear.
I will not be voting for any candidates in the primaries, run offs or general elections who support gay marriage. It’s that simple, and I encourage you to do the same.
- Obama backed same-sex marriage in 1996 (tightwind.net)
- Do you support gay marriage? (nzherald.co.nz)
- Gay Marriage and Political Expediency (therightsideoftheaisle.wordpress.com)
- Now Obama’s come out on same-sex marriage, maybe so will I | Edmund White (guardian.co.uk)
- Politics behind Obama’s gay marriage announcement? (midwestdemocracy.com)
- ‘Obama Gay Marriage’ Google Searches Spike 459% [INFOGRAPHIC] (mashable.com)
- Obama’s Gay Marriage Shift Puts Pressure On Other World Leaders (buzzfeed.com)
- Unsolicited Commentary: Gay Marriage WTF? (davidwestern.wordpress.com)
- Gay marriage shift gives Obama fundraising boost (kansascity.com)
- New Zealand’s PM backs gay marriage (abc.net.au)
- POLL: Obama’s Gay Marriage Endorsement Is Turning More Voters Away (businessinsider.com)
- The Majority Of Americans Still Don’t Support Gay Marriage (businessinsider.com)
- Poll: 40 percent say Obama’s gay marriage stance will affect vote (politico.com)